I apologize for the not-so-pretty, over ripe avocado. I used the other 1/2 for lunch and it was starting to turn by dinner time.
The past few years black bean burgers have been a staple in my freezer. Quick, easy and can be used as more than just a “burger”. They also make a tasty addition to taco salads (incase you are looking for a way to switch things up). Being that summertime is grilling season, these burgers often accompany me to many get togethers as well. Brent and I grilled out on Saturday…..good thing these burgers were a winner because my cornhole skills that night were awful. Instead of throwing one of the frozen burgers on the grill, I decided to try to make my own.
Why have I waited soo long??!?! These BY FAR surpassed my expectations. They were thick, spicy, and full of flavor. I loved the big pieces of mushrooms and corn. Unlike some of the reviews, I had no problem with them staying together on the grill. If you are a black bean burger lover like me, make sure you print out this recipe and add it to your next grill menu. DELICIOUS!
Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
Makes 4 burgers
- 1 – 16 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 4-5 mushrooms, cut into slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp Thai chili sauce or hot sauce (I used Sriracha)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1. In a saucepan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add mushrooms and sauté for an additional 4-5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add in frozen corn.
2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty. Add minced garlic and onion mixture. Stir into mashed black beans.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, chili powder, cumin and chili sauce. Stir egg mixture into black beans. Mix in bread crumbs and cilantro until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide into 4 patties.
4. Place patties on foil and grill for about 6 minutes on each side.