I’m not sure if my love for toffee candy has come through on the blog yet…but I LOVE toffee bars!!! Love, Love, Love! I can’t remember if it was my mom or dad that always had it around or if it was a shared love between them. But I remember every time it was stashed away in the fridge door, I would always sneak a few pieces. I couldn’t take the first bite and I couldn’t take too big of bites for fear someone would notice. I like to think I mastered the art of sneakiness, but I doubt it.
So of course I had to try this recipe out. Who could resist the words brown sugar and toffee and cake all together in one glorious description. Not this girl…..and I am so glad I didn’t. The cake itself is soft and airy and when topped with a plethora of chopped toffee candy, it is just wonderful. I took it to a get together this week and it was a huge hit!! I had a feeling it would be a winner so I saved a piece to take some pictures. Well that….and I knew Brent would want other slice. And if you are anything like me, you may want to grab 4 toffee bars. Somehow pieces seem to disappear while chopping. It’s the darndest thing. Happy Weekend!!! Thanks for stopping by!!
Brown Sugar Toffee Cake
Recipe from vegetariantimes.com
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup cold strong coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt, room temperature
- 3-4 milk chocolate-toffee bars, such as Heath
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Set aside.
3. Beat butter, brown sugar, and sugar with electric mixer until smooth in separate bowl. Beat in eggs one at a time, and then beat in coffee and vanilla extract. Add 1/4 cup yogurt, and beat until smooth. Add half of flour mixture, and beat until smooth. Beat in remaining 1/4 cup yogurt, then remaining flour mixture. Beat 2 to 3 minutes, or until batter is smooth and creamy.
4. Spread batter in prepared cake pan, and bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, pulse milk chocolate-toffee bars in food processor 8 times, or until crushed into bits. (It’s OK if some bits are larger than others.) Unmold cake from pan, and set on wire rack. Sprinkle chocolate-toffee bits on top of cake while hot. Cool completely before serving.