Let me preface this by saying, I am not a morning person. I”m not the type to spring out of bed on the first alarm and be ready for the day. And because I am not getting up early (usually up around 8 or 9 on the weekends, I can’t do the 11 wake up anymore I’m too old for that….my back starts hurting if I lay there too long. No joke) , in return I am going to bed too late to get those said 8 hours to get up early the next morning. It’s a viscous cycle. But on the rare occasion that I do get that rest and it’s an early rise, why not fill the kitchen with a delicious smell of muffins baking in the oven.
These cinnamon carrot muffins were quite tasty. I love that you can see the carrot shreds throughout the muffin. Although they are still good reheated, I really think these are best straight out of the oven. Jazz these up with some cream cheese drizzle if you want to sweeten them up a bit.
Cinnamon Carrot Muffins
Recipe from Whole Living
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tbsp wheat germ
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups finely grated carrots (4-5 carrots)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin tin with paper cups. Set aside.
2. Whisk flours, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a a medium bowl. Set side.
3. In a large bowl, combine vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs, brown sugar, and carrots. Fold dry ingredients into wet and mix until combined.
4. Spoon batter into cups. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 19-22 minutes. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.