One of my favorite ways to eat a banana is loaded with peanut butter. Take that peanut butter filled ‘naner and top it with chocolate and I’m in heaven. Finding the right cupcake recipe was a bit tricky. I wanted the cupcake to be just that, not a muffin or banana bread, but rather a light and fluffy cake. I was so happy with the outcome of this recipe! They were exactly what I was looking for. The whole flavor combo going on here is quite delicious and satisfying. Sweet, salty, and chocolaty. Yum! Brent even came home with another empty container….Success!!
Banana Cupcake with Peanut Butter Frosting
For the Banana Cupcakes
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 4 bananas)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two 12-cup cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter on low speed until creamy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl, add the eggs and beat until just combined. Scrape down the bowl again and add the bananas. Beat until combined. Turn the mixer on low. Slowly alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape down the bowl, then mix on low speed for a few more seconds.
4. Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full. Bake for 18-22 minutes, rotating pans halfway through the baking time, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pans to a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and place on wire rack to cool completely.
For the Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 lbs confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 6-8 tbsp heavy cream (or milk, amount will be less)
1. In the bowl of stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer, in a large bowl cream butter and peanut butter on medium speed until fluffy. Turn the mixer on low speed and slowly add the confectioners’ sugar, and continue mixing until blended.
2. Add vanilla and 4 tbsp of heavy cream. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add an additional 1 to 4 tbsp of heavy cream until you have reached desired consistency. Beat on high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy.
3. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
For the chocolate drizzle
- 1/2 cup 60% cocoa chips
1. Heat chocolate in microwave for about 3-4 minutes stirring every 30 seconds. Let cool for a few minutes. Drizzle over cupcakes.
Banana Cupcakes: Brown Eyed Baker
Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting: My Baking Addiction