Anyone else loving these hot, hot days lately?!? We’ve been spending a lot of time on the lake just trying to stay cool. Although, when the water is already 80 degrees, even that doesn’t seem to be refreshing enough. One thing that is always instantly cooling though is some sort of ice cold, slushy treat. This watermelon granita is perfect for those “fry an egg on the sidewalk” type of days. It is light, refreshing, simple, and a little bit boozy!
Adapted from What’s Gaby Cooking
- 6 cups watermelon, the redder or riper the watermelon the more vibrant the granita will be
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup vodka (optional)
- Chopped mint leaves (optional)
1. Blend watermelon in a blender until smooth.
2. In a saucepan, combine water and sugar over medium heat. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, combine watermelon, simple syrup, lime juice, and vodka until combined. Pour mixture into baking dish and freeze for 2 hours. Remove from freezer and using a fork, scrape the mixture to form ice chunks. Return to freezer for another 1-2 hours. Once desired slushy treat texture has been met, serve it up. Enjoy!