I am sooo excited to share this recipe with you guys!! Not only is it AMAZING but it’s a family recipe! We make it every year for the holidays, a family tradition for sure. I always remember my mom making it once the holiday season was in full swing. She would have a bowl with her morning coffee and perhaps a handful after dinner. About 5 or so years ago I started making it as well because there was no way I could wait until Christmas week to partake. There are many ways I follow in my mom’s footsteps and this is no exception. Piping hot coffee in one hand, small bowl of caramel party mix in the other. Life is good!
This caramely mix has made an appearance at numerous holiday parties and been given as countless homemade gifts. It’s always a hit!! I like to think the obsession goes somewhat like this for a newbie: “Caramel Party Mix…hmm…sounds pretty good. First few pieces are consumed, this stuff is GOOD! Another few pieces maybe even a handful later, what is this?? It’s so addicting! Email is composed and the recipe is requested!” 2 years ago I made it for some co-workers and got a request from them the next year to have another bag, and if I could make that bag bigger than last year that would be great!
Enough talking it up….what does it taste like?!? Well……it’s sweet and caramely and crunchy and addicting!!! Soo addicting! Don’t be turned away by the hour baking time. It’s well worth the every -15-minute stirring process. If you have some left over cereal from making salty party mix, give this one a try! You will be hooked. Coffee drinker? Start your morning off right and add this to your pre-breakfast roundup. It’s especially yummy sitting in front of a fire on a crisp winter morning. Not that it changes the taste, but it creates a relaxing picture, doesn’t it?? I hope you enjoy this sweet treat as much as we do!!
Caramel Party Mix
- 10 cups cereal (cereal recommendations listed below)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter, unsalted
- 1/3 cup light Karo syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups rice chex
- 2 cups corn chex
- 2 cups bugels
- 1 cup kix cereal
- 1 cup cheerios
- 1 overflowing cup of pretzels
- 1 cup peanuts OR you can do 1/2 peanuts 1/2 cashews
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place cereal in a large foil pan. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, light corn syrup and vanilla extract over medium-low heat. Stir frequently until butter is melted and mixture is combined. Allow mixture to come to a rolling boil, allow to boil for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and add baking soda. Stir quickly to combine, the mixture will expand which is what you want. Pour caramel mixture over cereal. Stir cereal and caramel until well combined.
3. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container.