There are sooo many mornings that I am rushing out the door. Like way too many! One would think I would learn my lesson and do simple things like pick out my outfit the night before, pack my lunch before/after I pick out said outfit, iron, you get the picture. But no. Instead I somehow find some weird thrill in constantly feeling rushed.
I need to have more of these Apple Baked Oatmeal Cups in my life. They are are a great grab-n-go breakfast item or mid-morning snack. The best part is that I know they are healthy. One less thing to worry about while deciding on what to pack for lunch. I thought they were best slightly warmed up and with a little bit of almond butter/peanut butter to up the protein factor. Hope you enjoy these oatmeal cups as much as we did!
Apple Baked Oatmeal Cups
Recipe adapted from With Style and Grace
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk (skim, soy, rice, almond, etc)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 apple, cored, peeled, and cut into small 1/2″ pieces
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cupcake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, and egg. Add wet ingredients to the oat mixture and stir until combined. Gently fold in apple pieces and cranberries.
4. Fill each cupcake well about 3/4 full. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until tops are browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
5. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- You might need to run a knife around the outside of the oatmeal cups to loosen.
- Best served warm. Reheat in microwave for 10-15 seconds and enjoy with a smear of peanut butter, nuts, milk, etc