Cookies have been sent, pictures have been taken and now it’s time to share this years Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap cookie! I bring you Pomegranate Chocolate Chunk Cookies! I’ll elaborate on these beauties in a minute. I was so excited when I got the email reminding me to sign up for this years swap. I haven’t exactly been the baking machine I was in the past, but signing up for the swap meant I HAD to bake some cookies or I would be on the naughty list. Signing up also meant I would receive 3 dozen cookies from other fab bloggers. Win, win people! Win, Win!!
The first dozen I received was a Chocolate Walnut Cookie, I think it was. Unfortunately it didn’t have a name or description, but they were good!! It was a really cold day when they were delivered and they sat outside for a few hours before I realized my first cookie swap had arrived. They were chilled from being outside and that’s actually how we preferred them. So back in the fridge they went. Brent was a big fan of these! The next batch I received was from Hannah of Fleur-De-Licious. Hannah sent me Pistachio and Cranberry Mexican Wedding Cakes. I loved this cookie for 2 reasons: 1) it was out of the ordinary and unlike anything I have tried before and 2) they were good obviously! The name immediately had me intrigued. I’m definitely bookmarking the recipe to try for future reference. My last dozen was a Whole Wheat Cranberry Chocolate Chip cookie from Lauren over at Sizzle Eats. I’ve never baked with Whole Wheat before but I will say I didn’t feel nearly as guilty eating these cookies as I normally do. Another thing to add to the to-do list, bake with whole wheat flour. Thanks for all the yummy cookies ladies!
What about my cookies you ask?!? They were good!! Like really good! Chocolatey, gooey, and little bits of juicy tartness. I was slightly skeptical because I have never baked with pomegranate seeds. To be honest, I’ve never bought a pomegranate or had pomegranate seeds until last week. Not that I can recall at least. They are my new favorite thing! The pomegranate itself is a bit of a hassle to work with, but those seeds are so worth it. Chocolate and pomegranate, you make a delightful combo. Marking this one down to make again very soon!! Wonder what else I can combine with these seeds??
Pomegranate Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp instant coffee, granules
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tbsp POM juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the instant coffee, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a small glass bowl, combine chopped chocolate and butter. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir frequently until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from heat.
4. In large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, POM juice, and vanilla extract until combined, about 2-3 minutes. Slowly add in flour mixture until batter is thick and smooth. Be careful not to over mix. Fold in the melted chocolate. Stir in the chocolate chips and pomegranate seeds. Using a medium scoop (about 1 1/2 tbsp) place dough onto prepared baking sheets. Bake until slightly puffed and the tops begin to crack, 12 to 14 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheets and serve.