I’m always looking for new things to add to my black bean burgers. I don’t usually eat them with a bun so just the burger alone is never enough. One of the first recipes I flipped to when I got Sarah Matheny’s cookbook was the Spanish Quinoa. Bingo! I love the versatility of quinoa and I already know I am going to love the flexibility of this gem of a recipe. Tasty on a burger, tasty as a side……really tasty when potato chips (preferably Wavy Lays) are used as the spoon! I can’t wait to try out many more “recipeas”!
Recipe from Peas and Thank You
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Place a large saucepan of medium heat. Add quinoa and toast until grains are slightly golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Add onion, zucchini, squash, broth, tomato sauce, and chili powder to quinoa and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
- Add some black beans and this would make a great filling to tacos or fajitas.
- Would be great with mushrooms
- Original recipe did not call for zucchini and squash. I just had some I wanted to use up.