I know what you’re thinking. Another banana cupcake recipe. Really Brooke? You just posted something very similar a few months ago. Indeed I did. But before you click over to your next favorite foodie, let me tell you that this banana cupcake recipe is stellar! Originally meant for a cake, perfect for a cupcake, no??
The cupcake is perfect in flavor and texture. This light and airy cake pairs perfectly with the slightly rich peanut butter caramel frosting. I don’t mean to sound like a broken record, but banana and peanut butter make such a wonderful couple. If you are not a frosting gal/guy, these cupcakes are just as good plain. Too bad they don’t travel well by plane, my family would have loved these! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Thanks for stopping by Baking with Basil!
Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Caramel Frosting
Banana Cupcake Ingredients
Adapted from Baker’s Royale
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 large bananas)
1. Place sour cream in a bowl and add baking soda; set aside.
2. Mix butter and sugar until light and creamy.
3. Add eggs in one at time and beat until combined. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
4. Mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Mix bananas and sour cream mixture. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with banana mixture. Mix after each addition until just combined.
5. Using a medium sized cookie scoop, evenly distribute cupcakes in liners. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in cupcake tin. Remove cupcakes and continue to cool completely on a wire rack.
Peanut Butter Caramel Frosting Ingredients
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter (not natural)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of table salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp caramel sauce
1. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and peanut butter at medium-high speed until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and salt to the bowl and beat at low speed just until the combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat the mixture on med-high until fully combined
2. Mix in vanilla and caramel sauce and beat until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again then beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
3. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Store cupcakes in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.