I’ve had so much fun trying new recipes that include watermelon. Last summer I made this salad that completely shocked me at how good it was. Lately, I’ve been enjoying many of these, not nearly enough of this, and most recently this mojito.
I’m a fan of regular mojito’s but this version was divine! Maybe it was the fact that it was ridiculously hot outside and anything cold would have been refreshing, but it was G.O.O.D!! The drink is smooth (minus the mint leaves) and a little bit boozy. It’s the type of drink that could get you in trouble, say if you were sipping it poolside or while mindlessly floating on the lake. Lovin’ these warm, summer days! Need a new cocktail to serve this weekend, cool down with this one.
Have a great weekend!!
Strawberry Watermelon Mojito
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 15-20 fresh mint leaves (amount depends on the size of leaves)
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 cups watermelon, 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup strawberries, halved or quartered
- 6 oz light rum
1. In a large pitcher, combine sugar, mint leaves, and lime juice. Muddle the mint leaves with the end of a wooden spatula.
2. Fill the blender with watermelon and then add strawberries. Blend until smooth and combined.
3. Pour watermelon mixture into the pitcher. Add rum and stir well until combined. Serve in chilled glasses and enjoy!
Read Full Post »
Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend!! We had some guests in town so I decided to “unplug” and enjoy the weekend. There wasn’t much cooking or baking going on in my kitchen, but I was requested to make these for a party we attended. They were in a head to head competition with a chocolate trifle that I was told was pretty tasty! I wouldn’t know because I was too busy shoveling some sort of cucumber salsa in my mouth to stop for a sweet. If the dessert was anything like the rest of the food that was provided, I’m a little bummed I didn’t check it out. Next time. I came home with an empty plate, and the chocolate trifle was about gone. Win, win!
So back to this cucumber salsa. It was very basic and refreshing and I couldn’t stop eating it. I came home from work today craving some tortilla chips (yum and yum), so I decided to try my hand at recreating the salsa. I added a bit more nutrition with some white beans, but all in all I was happy with the outcome. This salsa is packed full of color and flavor. It’s a great way to use up those cucumbers and tomatoes that might be taking over your gardens right now.
Cucumber White Bean Salsa
- 2 medium-large cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup canned white beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 medium size roma tomatoes, diced (add juice to mixture)
- Juice of 2-3 limes
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix until combined. Season with additional salt, pepper, or lime juice as desired.
2. Serve with tortilla chips.
Read Full Post »