The last few weeks breakfast has been whatever I can grab while running out the door. At this point, I’m already about 10 min late, sometimes my outfit goes together (most of the time not, then realize what I actually look like the first time I walk into the bathroom and see myself in a full length mirror – YIKES), and everyday I walk out the door, pause, turn around, back inside, up the stairs and have to double-check the iron and flatiron to make sure I turned them off. I think I need to start doing some word puzzles, Sudoku, or mind exercises before too long. The post-it note thing just isn’t working anymore.
In an attempt to make sure I had something somewhat healthy leaving the house I made these granola bars. Brent has been making some killer fruit bowls in the morning, which is perfect because I really think these bars would be best as a mid afternoon snack. They have a nice combination of sweet and salty to curb those 4pm cravings. Although you don’t NEED the chocolate drizzle, it sure is tasty with it.
Apricot Pistachio Granola Bars
Adapted from allrecipes.com
- 2 cups old-fashion oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8/10 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, apricots, and salt. Make a well in the center, add agave, egg, oil and vanilla. Stir together until fully combined. Add in pistachios and sunflower seeds. Pour mixture into pan and spread evenly.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the bars are golden brown on the edges. Middle will look slightly undone, that is ok. Cool in pan for 5-8 minutes. Using parchment paper, remove from pan and cut into bars while still warm. Bars become crumbly when cut after completely cooled.
4. Drizzle dark chocolate over top of bars if desired. (optional)
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.